WMU Esports Arena is proud to support the mission of Western Michigan University and the expansion of the esports industry. The arena is home to WMU Esports club teams and host to WMU intramural esports and community events.
The WMU Esports Arena is here for the West-Michigan gaming community. We are always looking for ways to engage with WMU students, faculty, staff and industry leaders or those just interested in the world of esports. There are a number of ways that you can get involved:
Each of the theatre's 12 competition PCs features an Alienware 25 Gaming Monitor with a 240Hz refresh rate and 1ms response time, along with the following hardware:
- Raidmax Alpha RGB Gaming Case
- 3X 120mm Led Case Fans
- Intel i7-8700K CPU
- MSI Z370-A Pro Motherboard
- Asus GTX 1080 8GB Strix RGB GPU
- 240GB SSD
- 1TB HDD
- 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM
WMU Esports was launched on Jan. 9, 2018, with President Dr. Montgomery announcing Western Michigan University would allocated funds for WMU Esports through the Transformational Initiatives Fund—first introduced in the Fall of 2017. On that day Western’s WMU Esports goals were born:
- to create a community that speak to student interests
- to build a competitive technological environment for skill development and club sport competition
- to create opportunity for WMU to enhance student’s out-of-class experience
- to explore academic programming development designed to meet the projected industry career demands.
With the goals in hand, The Little Theatre on Western Michigan University's East Campus was selected and renovated to house the state-of-the-art WMU Esports Arena.
The Grand Opening was held on Oct. 5, 2018 and was open to both Western and the Kalamazoo community. The event showcased the arena’s 36 gaming stations, 12 of which are competition machines on a traditional stage in front of the 196-seat auditorium. The event also demonstrated the latest in technology showing how this unique venue’s design encourages interaction and supports competition-hosting.